The main focus of Bishop Daniel Delany Museum is a display of artefacts relating to Bishop Daniel Delany and to the educational work of the Brigidine Sisters and the Patrician Brothers. Both religious orders were founded in Tullow in 1807 and 1808 respectively. During the early years of the 19th century, the then Bishop of Kildare and Leighlin, Daniel Delany saw education as a pathway to a fuller and better life for all. In 1807 to progress his vision he founded a congregation of sisters, the Brigidine Sisters, named in honour of St. Brigid, the patroness of both Ireland and the diocese. In 1808 he founded the Patrician Brothers, named in honour of the patron saint of Ireland, St. Patrick. Over the past 200 plus years both congregations have founded many schools not only in Ireland but also in England, Wales, Australia, New Zealand, America, Ghana, India, Kenya, Pakistan, Papua New Guinea, Mexico and China. For many years the nearby Mount Wolseley estate (now a hotel) was the Patrician Brothers world headquarters.
HOW TO FIND US: Entrance to the Bishop Daniel Delany Museum is in the grounds of the Brigidine Convent in Tullow Town, which is located beside the Church of the Most Holy Rosary. There is ample car and bus parking.
GPS: 52.801616, -6.733108
OPENING TIMES: The museum will be open on Corpus Christi, Sat May 28th from 8.30 – 9.30 p.m.; Heritage Week, Sun August 21st and 28th 12 – 4p.m.
For access to the museum at other times please pre-book by contacting the Tullow Parish Community Centre at 059-9151277 or email@example.com during office hours.