Black Castle

Black Castle

The village of Leighlinbridge developed at this strategic crossing on the River Barrow, defended by the Black Castle. In 1181, the Norman, Hugh de Lacy built the first castle here to defend the crossing while the present castle is reported to have been built by Sir Edward Bellingham in 1547. Black Castle was long held by the Kavanaghs and the Butlers and was also occupied by Sir Peter Carew and the Bagenals. Access direct from the river towpath.