This is a perfect time of year to get your family outdoors into woods and parks and outdoor spaces.
Everything is just beginning to wake up after winter and there is something new to discover every day.
To help get you started or to motivate you further, Síolta Squirrel would like to invite you and your family to take part in the Family Explorer Challenge co-ordinated by County Carlow Local Sports Partnership and supported with funding from the HSE Healthy Ireland Fund. With a chance to complete a variety of outdoor trails and earn stamps for your Explorer Passport in-between – it’s a fun way to get your family out exploring nature and heritage.
Best of all it’s free!
The trails can be downloaded from http://www.carlowlibraries.ie/explore/right-to-read
Getting involved in the Family Explorer Challenge is easy.
There are a few elements to the challenge:
- Each participating child will receive an Explorer Passport. This introduces the challenge and includes tips on trail walking, short questions about Carlow, pictures of plants and animals to look out for and a place to stick explorer stamps.
- Each family will receive a trail pack which includes trail sheets for 6 locations: Carlow Town Park, Duckett’s Grove, Oak Park, Altamont Gardens, the Clashganny Lock Looped Walk and The Barrow Way Leighlinbridge to Bagenalstown. There is also a picture scavenger hunt sheet which can be used in any of the locations and is especially aimed at younger children.
- Families can register for the challenge and collect their Explorer Passports and Explorer Trail packs from any of the Carlow libraries or Carlow Tourism from Monday 12th.
- The trails can also be downloaded from http://www.carlowlibraries.ie/explore/right-to-read
- By completing trails and collecting stamps, children can earn a Bronze, Silver or Gold certificate depending on how many trails they have completed. These will be awarded at the final event in An Gairdín Beo.
So whether your family are seasoned walkers looking for a new challenge or complete beginners looking for some assistance and motivation in getting the kids out walking, come and join us and Síolta Squirrel on the Family Explorer Challenge.
This project is supported by the HSE, Healthy Ireland, OPW, Sport Ireland, Carlow County Council, Pobal, LCDC, Carlow Tourism, Carlow Libraries and Get Ireland Walking.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION: