Carlow Regatta is one of the oldest rowing festivals in the country celebrating it’s 157th year in 2016. Eights, quads and scull racing takes place from 9 a.m. – 6 p.m. Teams travel from all over the country and further afield to compete.
Carlow Rowing Club is amongst the earliest of Irish rowing clubs. The first record of a regatta dates from 1859 but it is thought that boat races began even before that time. One of the first meetings of what was then known as the Carlow Regatta Yard, was held in the Corn Exhange (now Deighton Hall) in May 1860. The next regatta was fixed for July 18th, 1860. Sir John Acton the M.P. for the Borough of Carlow presented a cup in his name for this regatta. The cup mysteriously disappeared and was never recovered. Blue with diagonal stripes was the chosen colour for the teams’ uniforms. There is no information available as to why and when the colours changed to dark green which remain the colours of the club to this day.