These self-catering cottages in St Mullins, Co. Carlow are the ideal base for touring the south east, surrounded by Waterford, New Ross, Wexford and Kilkenny.
The cottages overlook the Scar (Weir) as the River Barrow bends away towards the town of New Ross with Brandon Hill rising to the west. The village of St. Mullins is steeped in history, culture and tradition and has been associated with Fionn ma Cumhail who gave the village its first name Rinn Ros Bro, and later St. Brendan the Navigator. The locality acquired its name from St. Moling, a 7th century cleric who built a monastery here with the help of “Gobban Saor”, the legendary Irish builder. The complex includes a medieval church ruin, the base of a round tower and the former Church of Ireland church, built in 1811.
There are THREE COTTAGES that surround the old stable yard.
1. Coach House
Double / Twin Bedroom en suite with additional single bed
Double Bedroom with toilet and wash hand basin.
Kitchen / living room, downstairs toilet and shower. Sleeps 5
2. The Forge
One Double bedroom en suite, living room /kitchen, downstairs toilet. Sleeps 2
3. The Stables
One Double bedroom and One Twin Bedroom, Bathroom upstairs, kitchen /living room, toilet downstairs. Sleeps 4.
The Mullichain Cafe is part of the tastefully restored old grain store buildings that in times gone by were used by the Grand Canal Company and then Odlums, the millers. Enjoy a coffee and a scone or glass of wine and smoked salmon/brown bread as you look out the window at the changing tides. Opening hours 11 a.m. – 5 p.m., closed Monday. Check www.oldgrainstorecottages.ie for extended summer opening times.
Cottage Rate: Low season High season
Coach House € 400/€480
Weekly Rate: From €300.00 to €480.00